DTIC History


Established in June, 1945 as the Air Documents Research Center (ADRC), the agency's first mission was to collect German air documents. The documents collected were divided into three categories: those that would assist the war in the Pacific theater, those of immediate intelligence interest to the United States or British forces, and those of interest for future research.

In 1945, the ADRC moved operations from London, in the United Kingdom, to Wright Field in Dayton, Ohio, under the name Air Documents Division (ADD). The ADD staff cataloged captured documents and translated a small number of reports deemed high-priority research.

In 1948, the secretaries of the Navy and Air Force redesigned ADD into the Central Air Documents Office (CADO), giving it the collection of captured documents while concurrently broadening its mission to include collecting, processing and disseminating information for use within military regulations. Since 1948, the organization has evolved -in name and mission- to become the central resource for DoD- and government-funded scientific, technical, engineering and business related information for the DoD community.

A summarized version of the history of DTIC is available from the organization.

1945 - The U.S. Army Air Corps, the U.S. Navy and the British Air Ministry establish the Air Documents Research Center (ADRC) in London. ADRC becomes the Air Document Division (ADD) of the Intelligence (T-2) Department of the Headquarters, Air Technical Services, Army Air Force at Wright Field, Ohio.

1948 - ADD becomes the Central Air Documents Office (CADO) designed to collect, process, and distribute scientific and technical reports.

1951 - CADO becomes the Armed Services Technical Information Agency (ASTIA).

1952 - ASTIA becomes operational with document collection at its core.

1958 - ASTIA moves from Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio to Arlington Hall Station, Virginia.

1962 - The Department of Defense (DoD) Scientific and Technical Information (STINFO) Program is established.

1963 - ASTIA is renamed the Defense Documentation Center (DDC) and becomes a field activity of the Defense Supply Agency (DSA).

1972 - The Defense Research, Development, Test and Evaluation Online System (DROLS) becomes operational.

1979 - DDC changes its name officially to the Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC).

1980 - DoD Information Analysis Center (IAC) Program is added to DTIC's mission.

1983 - DTIC assumes responsibility for the Manpower and Training Research Information System (MATRIS).

1991 - DTIC is transferred from the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) to the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisitions) in order to expand its mission to fulfill the needs of the broader acquisition community.

1994 - DTIC begins offering products and services via the Internet.

1995 - DTIC moves to its current location in the Andrew T. McNamara Headquarters Complex, Fort Belvoir, VA.

1997 - Defense Reform Initiative transfers oversight of DTIC to the Director, Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA).

1998 - DTIC is transferred from the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense to DISA.

2003 - DTIC initiates Private STINET (Scientific and Technical Information Network).

2004 - DTIC is established as a DoD Field Activity and realigned under the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics (USD (AT&L)), reporting to the Director, Defense Research & Engineering (DDR&E).

2008 - DTIC Online is launched to offer DTIC customers one comprehensive website to search and access DoD Scientific and Technical Information.

2010 - DTIC celebrates 65 years of meeting the Scientific & Technical Information needs of the DoD community in support of the Warfighter.

2013 - DTIC launches the R&E Gateway and DoDTechSpace to facilitate increased collaboration within the DoD.

2014 - DTIC celebrates ten years as a DoD Field Activity, its future as part of ASD(R&E) is focused on the primary goal to ensure that warfighters today and tomorrow have superior technology capabilities for their missions.

(Top of Page)