Department of Defense Instruction 5025.12 - establishes overarching policy for the DOD Terminology program and usage of the DOD Dictionary.
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Instruction 5705.01 - establishes policy and procedures for implementing the DOD Terminology program that includes the DOD Dictionary, Terminology Repository for DOD (OSD/JS) Issuances, NATO Terminology and other terminology forums.
DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms - reflects general and universal terms in joint publication glossaries. Methods to change to the DOD Dictionary are listed in the instructions above. Those who develop policies, strategies, plans, rules, doctrine, and assessments etc. should first access this official resource to determine if terms exist prior to pre-coordination of terms and glossary refinement. Upon accessing the DOD Dictionary, authors are advised to next access the Terminology Repository to view terms that exist throughout DOD in official senior leadership documents.
- Search DOD Dictionary at the bottom of this webpage.
- Process to update the DOD Dictionary is outlined in the Chairman's Instruction.
- Process to update the Terminology Repository is outlined in the Chairman's Instruction.
- Controlled/Classified Issuance Revision Request (CAC enabled) - OSD/JS users can revise the Terminology Repository by submitting their controlled/classified issuances glossaries request for term and definition inclusion.
USG Glossary of Interagency and Associated Terms
USG Glossary of Interagency and Associated Terms identifies standard terminology experienced in cooperation activities of the Federal branches of government and their components. This purpose of this compilation of terms and definitions reflected from organizational dictionaries and U.S. Code is to improve communication and mutual understanding within the federal government to increase efficiencies among and between workforces. Duplicate term entries with different definitions are by design to show differences in organizational approaches or understanding. The Glossary is published with the understanding that it not be definitive of the mission or function of any of organization.
- Interagency Revision - non-DOD secretariats and organizations will be annually notified of revision opportunities to submit term and definitions from unclassified and uncontrolled documents.
NATOTerm - contains non-classified military terminology, as well as non-military terminology relevant to NATO.